Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Encounter: Part 1


 1 I am a rose of Sharon, 
      a lily of the valleys.
     2 Like a lily among thorns, 
      So is my love among the daughters.
    
3 Like an apple tree among the trees of the woods, 
      So is my beloved among the sons. 
      I sat down in his shade with great delight, 
      And his fruit was sweet to my taste.
    4 He brought me to the banqueting house, 
      And his banner over me was love. 
    5 Sustain me with cakes of raisins, 
      Refresh me with apples, 
      For I am lovesick. 
    6 His left hand is under my head, 
      And his right hand embraces me. 
    7 I charge you, O daughters of Jerusalem, 
      By the gazelles or by the does of the field, 
      Do not stir up nor awaken love 
      Until it pleases.

So the last couple weeks it has been almost comical to me as I have been able to literally find myself in the scriptures.  If you have ever done this, it's quite amusing.  It's just like, "Hey, if I would known you were where I was at 3 days ago I would have never have..." well you get the point.  Song of Songs really has been like a roadmap to me since my time here at IHOP, and I think it is something that everyone should take the time to study.  Really the song has become one of my good friends, it's like, "Oh, you feel like crap today, let's see what Mr. Song has to say about that.  Or, you don't feel like Jesus likes you, oh, what does 4 verse 1 say again?  Behold you are fair, what?"  Really, there is some good stuff in there, you just gotta look at the song rightly to get it.

Upon arriving here I was definitely in these first 7 verses of chapter 2.  Chapter 2 verses 1-7 speak of the bride's identity and life purpose.  As I studied these verses closer, they grabbed my heart in a way that I have never experienced before.  Mike Bickle's notes give a great outline of what each verse means, and even some of the nitty gritty details of some of the vernacular used.  But what was so good to me was the fact of finding my value and identity in Jesus.  That my efforts and work in this life mean nothing compared to what I have in Christ.  The concept of being lovesick for Jesus finally became a reality after observing these verses.

Verses 1-2 are talking about our identity and life purpose being, being Jesus' inheritance.  The bride is pictured as a beautiful rose and a pure lily whose primary life purpose and identity is found in seeking to fully love (rose) and obey (lily) Jesus.  In verse 2 Jesus is describing the woman as a lily (obedient) in the midst of sin, and trials.  We are the rose and lily whose love and obedience arises as fragrance that intoxicates Jesus' heart.  We are the only prize that Jesus longs for.  I was made to obey Jesus as His promised inheritance, and in doing this I bring joy to the heart of Jesus.  When you start to understand the Jesus has an inheritance waiting for Him at the end of the age, and it's you, it's a fearful feeling, but at the same time glorious!  Because it's not like Jesus is disappointed!  He is so excited to receive us as His!  "Our primary identity is not what we do with our hands but what we pursue with our hearts."

In 2:3a "Like an apple tree among the trees of the woods, so is my beloved among the sons." It is talking about how Jesus alone can satisfy our hearts.  There is only one who refreshes the human spirit at the highest level.  When we receive the revelation of Jesus as an apple tree or as the primary source that satisfies our heart, then we seek Him with all our heart.

Verses 2:3b-4 is enjoying the presence of Jesus.  "I sat down in his shade with great delight, And his fruit was sweet to my taste 4 He brought me to the banqueting house, And his banner over me was love."  One of the greatest pleasures available to the human spirit comes as we feed on His Word and feel His presence.  The Word brings delight and is sweet to all who will continually feast on Jesus.  "We only enjoy the shade of God's Word by resting in the shade of Jesus' cross....We will never experience the delight and refreshing of Jesus as the apple tree without sitting long hours in the shade of the apple tree by feeding on His Word by the help of the Holy Spirit."

I love that in 2:4 that He displays His leadership over our lives by displaying a banner of love over us.  His leadership is perfect, wise, and good in every way.  What a great message to have spoken over us, that He is in control, and He knows just what we need when we need it.  "First, His banner over us is His lovingkindness (mercy). When we fail, the banner over our life is confidence in His mercy not the fear of being rejected by God.  We confess, "His banner over me is love even when I fail."  Second, His banner over us speaks of His ability to overrule the negative circumstances in our life by causing everything for our good (Romans 8:28)."  I love that!

Two verse five is really what messed me up last night.  As apples speak of the refreshing of Jesus, so the raisins speak of the ministry of the Spirit since they are died grapes.  Which grapes represent the wine of the Spirit.  "In other words, she cries, "Sustain me with more of the SPirit and refresh me with more of Jesus."'  But what really got me was the fact that we are called to live lovesick for God.  That when we walk in true communion with Jesus it causes such deep and even painful feeling of love and longing for more of Jesus.  "Lovesickness will not be satisfied with anything less than persevering.  These desperate hunger pains are proof that we have been touched by God."  After reading this, more than any other time in my life, I had a deep pain over loving Jesus.  But this left me so fulfilled it was the weirdest thing in the world!  My heart was experiencing Jesus in a way it never had before, which was very painful, but at the same time the most glorious feeling I have ever experienced!  It's almost like riding the most insane roller coaster, it drives this thrill of fear in us.  We genuinely have a fear of our life, but the pleasure of it is so good, we go back for more.

Quickly in 2:6 the left hand speaks of all the work that He is doing in our lives that we cannot see.  His right hand is the guidance and embrace that we know is working in our life.

And 2:7 finally makes sense to me now.  Do not arouse or awaken this love for Christ until you are ready for the trials that come with it!  When you truly seek after Jesus with all your heart, you better be ready because the true lovesickness you experience in your heart is truly painful.  But if you persevere and continue, it is truly worth every bit of it!

Strength & Honor,
Grace and Peace.

Isaac

1 comment:

  1. wonderful blog

    comment on mine if u plz and try the traffic system

    www.theway2profits.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete